Tuesday, October 27, 2009

a gun for hire

Helmut Newton (1920-2004) was one of the most influential fashion photographers of all time. He achieved international fame in the 1970’s while working principally for French Vogue, and over the next three decades his celebrity and influence continued to grow. Eschewing studios for the most part, Newton preferred to shoot in the streets or in interiors. His mixture of controversial scenarios, bold lighting, and striking compositions came to form his signature look.

Helmut Newton
came into my life five years ago in a pack of very rare set of
notecards by TASCHEN. The black and white image on the box cover just attracts me so. And of course, my knowledge of photography isn’t as great as Mr Fink Harder, but I know what good photography is nonetheless (for me, at least!). Click below for the notecards images.



Okay, I might as well let the photographs do ALL the talking.




Helmut Newton
 once said, “Some people’s photography is an art. Mine is not. If they happen to be exhibited in a gallery or a museum, that’s fine. But that’s not why I do them. I’m a gun for hire.” (Newsweek, 02/02/04)


newton2-23-1
Who’s the daddy?



Oh yes, a little something for Mr Fink Harder…

HelmutNewton71_i3HelmutNewton79_i3  HelmutNewton76_i1

The incredible Catherine Deneuve, by Helmut Newton. Just for you. *hugs*

No comments:

Post a Comment